(Recipe makes 1 loaf)
3/4 cup all-purpose (unbleached) flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon salt
3 over-ripe bananas, mashed (easier if they are frozen and defrosted) 1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup oats
1/4 cup crushed Special K or Wheaties flaked cereal
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple sauce 1/3 cup vanilla or plain yogurt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Make a “sling” (parchment paper) for 9X5 inch loaf pan. Line the pan with the sling.
3. Grease the paper-lined pan with baking spray
4. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
5. Stir bananas, milk, and cinnamon in another bowl.
6. Beat butter and both sugars in a third bowl until light and fluffy.
7. Add eggs to butter mixture, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
8. Stir apple sauce and yogurt into banana mixture (you can leave it chunky or make it smooth, depending on your preference).
9. Stir the two wet mixtures together gently.
10. Stir dry mixture into wet mixture until just blended.
11. Fold in chocolate chips until just combined.
12. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
13. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 60-70 minutes.
14. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing
15. Use parchment sling to lift bread out of pan
16. Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing